Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Apr. 10 2007 - Great Seats for Women's Olympic Volleyball Team


Yesterday, Max & I went to see China's Olympic Women's Volleyball team. Max was given free tickets from a guy he plays basketball with. The women played against the local men's team in the sports facility near my university. Our seats were up in the stands, but there were a few rows of seats courtside. As we were discussing how cool it would be to sit on the floor, I noticed one of my students from the Loft. I sent her a text saying "I CAN SEE YOU". Soon enough, she came up to where we were sitting. Lynda was there with her brother - they also had free tickets to the game and also to a huge lunch at the Zhangzhou Hotel. There were some empty seats on the floor, so Lynda took us down and the next thing we know, we're sitting in the front row courtside, just a few feet from the game! It was so cool! The men's team won the first game and the women won the second. They only played half of the 3rd game - I think it's because it was 11:30 and that's lunch time in China! We didn't get to meet the team (damn it) but it was still fun to watch and be that close to the action! The coach is from just outside of Zhangzhou, so he's something of a local celebrity (of course). After the game, Lynda & her brother took us to the hotel for a free buffet lunch.
What a great Monday!

No comments: