Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Mar. 30 2007 - Goodbye Jodi & Steven

March 17 2007
My favourite Australian couple has left China. Jodi & Steven packed up and made their way back to Australia. They lived here for about one year, but because their contract expired and Jodi is just over two months away from giving birth, they headed home. Back to good food and hard work!
To send them off, I hosted a potluck dinner at my home. This is something that never happens in China, so I think some of our Chinese friends didn't really know what to expect. But I think everyone really enjoyed it. Lots of food, beer and plenty of entertainment from Steven - he does a wicked "Thriller" dance.
Max thought it would be a great idea to prepare shrimp like back home - which means serving without head & body attached. He bought a few pounds of live shrimp (the only way to buy them here) and they died in the bag on the way home. Peeling them took forever - we even had Richard come over early to help out! The end result - garlic & butter shrimp - delicious, but waaaaaaaaay too much work!!
We also made potato salad, meatballs, cauliflower & cheese sauce and a apple cinnamon dessert (in the crockpot). Steven & Jodi brought lamb stew and Luc & Amber brought a huge bowl of chili. Many people brought wine (some of which I still have!) and some people brought other desserts. I don't think any of our Chinese friends cooked, but I think they now understand the idea.
It was such a good mix of people - Mr. Hong, his wife Cathy, daughter & neice (Nancy & Lori - my Sunday morning students), Tony & his wife Rolling (yes, Rolling), Jodi & Steven, Richard, Suzuki-san (the Japanese teacher at my school - doesn't know Chinese and can barely get by with English, but such a sweet man), Julius - the new American teacher at my school, Jason - the Australian teacher at my school, Karen (from the Loft) and her brother Kevin, Bruce - Max's good friend, Joe & Tina, Amber, Luc, Max & Me. I hope I'm not forgetting anyone - my memory isn't what it used to be - hahaha.
I'm hoping to have a monthly potluck because there was so much positive feedback from everyone! Stay tuned for more pics!

No comments: