Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Nov. 15 2006 - A Few Things on the Go...

There have been a few things happening over the last few days - nothing exciting enough to write a single story about - so I've saved them up.
Sunday afternoon - two guys came over to hook up satellite tv. Hooray. Max and I have been watching the first season of Lost - downloaded from the internet - I think we only have 4 or 5 left before we start on season 2. With Satellite, I have about 40 channels - most are english, a few french. HBO, BBC, etc, etc.

Oh, the Satellite guy wants to bring his daughter to my childrens class. We gave him Mr. Hong's number and he called to set something up. So my class is getting bigger. I am making good money there and it's only two hours a week. The kids very excited to learn English and I have a student (Richard) from school helping me out. She is very good. The parents did not like the flashcards, so I have been teaching them conversation and simple phrases instead. The parents also do not want them to write - something I find a little strange. But they are paying me, so I can't complain.
Richard is also teaching me Chinese. I am learning how to say simple phrases (My name is Lisa and I am from Canada = Wo jiao Lisa, lai zi Jianada), how to count to 10 (four and ten sound almost identical). I am also learning how to write the Chinese characters, but that is even more difficult than speaking.
Thursday is Max's birthday - 31 - he is getting old!! Hard to believe I knew him when he was just 23. We are heading to Xiamen for Thursday and Friday nights. The school has a holiday to celebrate a flower festival or something, so we are off Wed, Thurs and Friday. Xiamen (sh-ow-men) is the city I flew to from Hong Kong. Max's friend owns a hotel there, so we are getting a good deal. There is much to see and do in the city, but I will write about that when we get back.
In honour of Max's birthday, we are getting together with friends from the city Saturday night. People celebrate birthdays a little differently here. In China, it is customary for the birthday-boy (or girl) to pay for everyone's dinner & drinks. So the more friends you have, the more you will have to pay. There are some places in the city that are expensive, but many places are quite reasonable and bring out plate after plate for everyone to share.
More pictures & stories to follow.

No comments: