Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Mar. 25 2007 - Day Trip to Chang Tai

FINALLY - a day trip to the country!!
Somehow Amber convinced Tony to play tour guide and take us on a day trip. So on Sunday, Tony rented a car, picked up me, Max, Amber and Carry (that's how she spells her name) in the morning for a trip to "Dream Valley". Tony is a new driver, or as he puts it "a new player". I don't think many people have their drivers license in my city - it's too expensive (5000 rmb) and not that many people can afford cars. I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but driving here is kinda like a free-for-all. There are some rules, it just seems that no one really follows them (red lights for example are ignored by many).
Anyways, once everyone was in the car, we headed out of the city. The drive was just over an hour. We drove through some very small villages - it looked so funny to have a paved road through a town where goats are walking down the road. Driving through some small tree-covered mountains we saw some of the reddest soil I've ever seen - Amber said it reminded her of PEI back home.
It was such a great feeling to be out of the dirty, smelly, noisy city. The sky was almost cloudless. I don't think the day could have been any better.
I took some pics of the toilets for everyone's viewing pleasure! Hahaha.
After a quick bathroom break and some tea from the workers there, we headed off to the waterfalls. Whenever I've been hiking back home, there is usually a beaten path for everyone to follow. Not so here. We climbed on the rocks alongside, and sometimes right in, the waterfalls. At one waterfall, Amber & I climbed onto a big rock almost under the water. There was a group of about 15 Chinese people not far behind and they caught up with us here. It's a big deal for some of them to see foreigners. So I think we became part of the attraction. Two little girls were dragged by their parents to come sit with us on the rock. And then it was like the poparazzi (sp?) were there! I think we ended up posing for about 10 minutes before they moved on.
But on the upside, there was one man in the group that Amber & I named "Fanny" b/c of his awesome fanny pack. He was Mr. Explorer - I think he felt it was necessary to walk on every inch of Dream Valley. Every now and then he would stop, plant his hands on his hips and stand as though he had conquered something important. We had some good laughs - you can see him in the pics.

We hiked for a few hours. Took many pictures - as you can see.
When we finally finished, everyone was starving, so we headed out to a nearby small town for some eats. In the small towns that I've been too, chickens are often walking around in the street - sometimes ducks too. Anyways, we found a little hole in the wall and ordered some chicken, some rice and some vegetables. This is where the story becomes a little gruesome. Many Chinese enjoy FRESH meat. After placing our order, I'm looking out the window at a small gated area where maybe 5 or 6 chickens are running around. I then watch the lady that took our order grab one of them by the feet and weigh it using a hand scale - I don't know how to describe this. The bird is obviously terrified and is flapping around. The lady, satisfied with the results, grabs a large cleaver, takes the bird back outside, sits on a small stool and slits its throat. Blood starts coming out and I'm horrified - Amber is a few minutes away from tears. I'm thinking that she is going to let it bleed slowly. Instead she puts it into a large bucket of water - I don't know if it was hot or cold water, but the shock of it sent the bird flying straight up and out of the bucket and back onto the cement. During all of this, I'm looking away and back again many times through the screened window. Amber and Max are standing at the doorway watching. Tony & Carry are unphased by the whole thing - I think it's just common knowledge. Eventually the bird stops flopping around and I think the lady bleeds it out. When she comes back in, the bird is feathered and then I can hear the heavy chopping in the kitchen.

I didn't eat the chicken when it came out on the plate. Partly b/c I just saw what I saw and partly b/c the chicken is all chopped up - the skin and bones are still there, its black legs & feet...even its head. But they did have beer there.

No comments: