Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Jan. 17 2007 - New Business


I think I may have mentioned this to a few of you, but Max and I have opened a new English Centre in the city. A lady he worked with during his first year here already had a small centre, but now the three of us are working in a partnership. It's called "The English Loft" and our classes start next week. Max is teaching Beginner English and I am teaching Intermediate. We held an Open House on Sunday and there was a pretty good turnout. As of today, I have 7 students in my class, but that may increase before next Monday. The Beginner & Intermediate courses are Monday & Friday nights and are 16 hour-and-a-half long classes. Karen (our partner) found a really good English learning book, so the students pay one time and the book is good for 6 months (3 courses). Karen is also teaching a "Chinese for Foreigners" class, because there is nothing formal available in the city and there are more and more foreigners coming here. Obviously I will be taking that class. Our Loft also has what we are calling "The Open Book Club". This is a weekly open discussion where students (and one friend) can come for free and have an open discussion with other students and teachers. The colleges in this city have weekly "English Corners" which is open to everyone, but a foreign teacher must be present. We have worked it out with Jason & Charlotte so that we attend the English Corner at our school every other week. What usually happens is each of us stand in the middle of a group of students and answer some ridiculous questions;
Do you like Chinese food?
Can you use chopsticks?
Do you speak any Chinese?
Where are you from?
Since these questions are only fun to answer once or twice, it becomes tiring rather quickly. And some students only come to stare at me. It is getting better because I have some of my own students answering some of these questions for me.
The opening of The Loft works out perfectly as we are about to begin a month long holiday from our school. It's the Chinese Spring Festival - or New Year (this is the year of the Pig for those who don't know). I'm in my second last week of school - just doing oral exams with the students. Takes about 5 minutes each as they read a lesson from the text to me and I ask a few questions. But I have almost 200 students - so it takes a bit of time. I have been surprised by many students who normally don't make a peep in class, but during their reading, speak incredibly well. Originally we were thinking about going to the Philippines, but now that we have the Loft, we are thinking about getting away for just a few days in Hong Kong. SOMEONE wants to go to Disney there.

No comments: