Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Mar. 23 2007 - Banana Land - Dammy's Hometown


Visiting My Student's Hometown - Banana Farm

On March 15, one of my graduating students invited me to her hometown. This was my first visit to a student's home, so I was very excited. I met with Richard & Dammy around 10 in the morning. We took a taxi from just outside of my home to Dammys hometown - I don't remember the name of her town, but the taxi ride was about 25 minutes long.

Dammy's mother started making lunch shortly after we arrived. While she was cooking, Richard and I met some of the local children. They were so fascinated and interested in me, but some were quite shy and only liked to look at me from a distance. I was able to finally take some pictures of them (see the photo album). Lunch was very good and the girls & I shared a beer.

After lunch we walked around the town. We saw the banana trees down by the beach. Dammy showed me the river where some people shower and wash their clothes. There was an old lady sitting in the sand gathering some kind of seafood. From there we went up to the local temple and took more pictures. Richard braided my hair, while a baby tried to take her first steps. Around us, the older locals played some card games with cards that I have never seen before. After a few minutes in the shade, we walked down to the town stage, where plays and operas are performed. As we walked through the town, we saw many chickens and dogs in the streets. We soon came to a corner store, which was no bigger than an actual corner, and bought some ice cream. We took our treats to the primary school and took more pictures. On our way back to Dammy's home, we ran into her father at work. He is a construction worker and was putting cement (maybe?) onto the wall of someone's home.
Many of the homes are barely standing, tiny mosquitos leave tiny, but itchy, red bites on hands & arms, every roadside ditch has a carpet of litter (see the photo album). Cows are tied to a post or a tree with a rope about an arm's length long. The banana trees are not lush and green as I imagined. Going to such a small town, it's not really possible to prepare yourself for the level of poverty. But the experience didn't turn me off of visiting small towns. It just makes me appreciate home more.

The day was nice and sunny - not a cloud in the sky. I had a really good time with Dammy and Richard. Dammy invited me back in early April for the town Opera. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a sunny day!

No comments: