Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Nov. 5 2006 - My First Class with the Kids

This morning I had my first class with Mr. Hong's kids. Well actually, not just his kids, but there were 5 kids total - 4 girls and 1 boy. He was about 4 or 5 - so small and so cute. I had some flashcards and with Richard's help, we learned how to say some everyday words:
Chopsticks
Bowl
Apple
Milk
Orange
Watermelon
Grapes
Egg
Banana
Pear
They all L-O-V-E saying my name, screaming it actually! The flashcards have a picture, the Chinese character, English word and also the Pin Ying spelling. So I think I will be learning some Chinese from these kids. I think the hardest word for them to say was Chopsticks. They don't always pronounce the "P" or the "T". We played a few games and then the hour was up. My next class with them is Tuesday from 730-830. Richard has agreed to come to my classes - she is really great with the kids. And she is going to be my Chinese tutor - she gave me some workbooks to practice with and a nice plant for my apartment.
After class, we said goodbye to Richard and went out for a bite to eat. The restaurant was very nice and had a live pianist. Instead of chairs, many of the tables had wicker-like swinging benches on either side. The benches were suspended from the ceiling. Really cool atmosphere. And the food was good too! My drink was similar to an Ice-Cappucino, but they called it "Ice Sand" in English on their menu. Of course, eating downtown leads to shopping downtown! So many stores sell fake brand name items - jeans, shirts, bags, purses, wallets, etc. Some stores mark up the price, but some stores keep it cheap. Some fakes are easy to spot, but others are more difficult. For example, we saw some "Calvon Klain" underwear! I guess something was lost in the translation. But there are lots of names kicking around: Nike, Adidas, Hugo Boss, Swiss Army, Abercrombie & Fitch, Diesel, Polo, Tommy Hilfiger and on and on and on. Place your Christmas orders NOW!!

No comments: