Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Oct. 30 2006 - The Land of "PMUA" and "NKIE"

No, those are not typo's. There is a small store down the street that sells everything under the sun - groceries, dishes, small home appliances (hair dryers, etc), picture frames and some clothes. Because the floors are pretty dusty here, it's nice to have some inside shoes, like flip flops, for around the house. Last night, we went to this market to get a few small items and ended up getting some inside shoes. Mine are purple Mickey Mouse and Max's are white PMUA flip flops - they even have the Puma cat on them. If anyone wants me to send either PMUA or NKIE, let me know! I think they are awesome. I will post a picture of them once I figure out how to post pictures here.
Speaking of "mouse" a girl in my class today told me that in her hometown, the specialty is mouse! She said it is 'very delicious', but that is what they say about everything - hahaha. I know I tried snake on Friday, but I think I will have to pass if I am ever served a plate of mouse. I can't imagine slurping up that tail.
Saturday night was another night out. This time, we started out at a BBQ restaurant. Jason and Charlotte came, and then I met Steven and Jodi (also Australian) too. The six of us went for dinner. Once you step inside this place, you pick up a plastic basket and pick out the veggies you want. Once you do that, they give you a metal plate and you pick out the meat that you want. Everything is already on skewers. Tons of veggies to choose - everything from cauliflower & zucchini to something that looks like grass. There is a variety of meat as well - chicken, crab, sausage, etc. Unfortunately I left my camera at home, but I will take pictures next time we go there. I really liked this place because everything was a little spicy - no boiled food tonight. And of course we had beer. Only the beer comes in giant bottles and you get these tiny glasses that hold probably a shot and a half of beer. But everywhere you go, they give out these tiny glasses for most drinks. WTF???
After dinner, we went to another pub and met up with some people from Friday night and also some people I hadn't met before. There is a dice game that is very popular here - you shake up some dice and try to bluff the other person (or people). If you lose, you have to do a shot of beer. I didn't play because I don't know the numbers in Chinese yet, but it looks fun.
Sunday was another shopping day! I bought a dvd player for my apartment - it was $398 rmb, which is just under $60 American / Canadian. Not bad. We went to a shoe store (on the advice of Jodi as I was admiring her shoes Saturday night) and can you believe that there was one pair of shoes that I couldn't buy because they don't carry my size in every shoe here. At home, my feet are small-to-average (size 7), but here I am apparently walking around on canoes! Hahaha. But I still ended up with two pairs of shoes. Bought a few more things for around my apartment, then came home and made spaghetti & some chicken. Pasta & pasta sauce is expensive here and very hard to find - although Walmart carries it. We also watched 'The History of Violence' - what a garbage movie that is!
Monday morning - I had class from 10-1130. Almost 60 kids in this class. These are 3rd year students that graduate at the end of January. This class is a comparison between the UK and the US. The textbook is ridiculous, so I will probaby just powerpoint (and summarize) most of the boring chapters (history, etc).

No comments: